Gabon Overland Travel. Gabon is a spectacularly beautiful and friendly country to visit. Much of Gabon has been set aside as National Park, so there is a huge amount of wilderness to explore, and wildlife to see
Entering Gabon with a Car or Motorbike
Entry with a Carnet de Passage is free, the passavant costs CFA10,000.00 XOF, Permitted length of stay With a passavant it's one month.Gabon Car or Motorbike Required Paperwork
- Passport of registered owner.
- Drivers license of registered owner.
- Original vehicle registration.
- Proof of vehicle insurance - they might not ask for it, but it’s better to have it.
- (OPTIONAL) Carnet de Passage
- (Only required for two borders near Bitam) Printed hotel reservation with telephone number.
Travel Visa for Gabon
The travel visa for Gabon is easy to get, with virtually everyone who travels South getting it in Lomé, Togo. A one month visa costs FCFA50,000.00 XAF. A two month visa is twice as much, and a three month is triple. The visa can normally be collected the day after you apply, though you can pay an extra FCFA15,000.00 XAF to pick it up the same day. Extension of stay refer to visa extension pageGabon Visa Required Paperwork
Gabon e-Visa Requirements
- Passport valid for at least six months from arrival date
- Applicant recent face photograph, passport-style
- International passport biopage
- Proof of Accommodation
- Travel Itinerary
- Supporting letter e.g. letter from company or invitation letter for business/family visits.
- Yellow Fever Certificate check with WHO website
Process at border
- Get yourself stamped in at Immigration.
- Go to Douane to get a temporary import for the vehicle. Using the vehicle registration the officer will write out a Passavant, valid for one month.
- If you have a Carnet de Passage, you don't need the Passavant.
- If you arrive at borders that are North or West of Bitam then you'll need a printed hotel reservation. They phone the hotel to check the reservation. They write a fiche and instruct you to visit immigration in Bitam where a passport photo copy and fiche are handed over to get your passport stamped.
Gabon Cost of entry
Entry with a Carnet de Passage is free, the passavant costs CFA10,000.00 XOF
Exiting with a vehicle
- Get yourself stamped out at Immigration.
- Get your Carnet de Passage stamped out if you have one.
All should be free, do not pay for this.
Relax at the beach in Gabon
Gabon is country of beautiful beaches. You simply can’t escape getting a revitalizing whiff of sea breeze when you come to this country.
Right inside Libreville territory, you will find Pointe-Denis and Ekwata Beach, two of the most famous beaches in the capital.
Then, just half an hour’s drive away, there are Cape Santa Clara and Cape Esterias. These are nice deserted beaches where you can really relax and just soak in the sun and the clear blue water and sky.
Go fishing in Gabon
At the Loango National Park, where fishing activities are limited to local subsistence fishing and a couple of tourist operations,you can sign up for a nine-day itinerary that included full board accommodations at the park and fishing excursions to catch the giant African threadfin, the Atlantic tarpon, the Guinean barracuda, or the African cubera snapper.
Gabon’s lakes and rivers are excellent fishing venues. The country has arguably the best-preserved marine environments in Africa.
See the humpback whales in Gabon
If you are in Gabon between July and September, you’re just in time to see the humpback whales! These whales come to Gabonese waters during this season to mate and calve before they return to their summer feeding grounds.
The best places to see the humpback whales are in Loango and Mayumba. Loango, of course, if famous for its“surfing hippos,”though it is not likely you will see any of those. You’ll have to content yourself with whale sightings, then.